Thursday 22 May 2008

Procrastination

I actually dislike sitting in Starbucks to write my blog entries, and the other sundry of smaller things I end up doing. I could stay at home and do this without the obligation of paying for a caffeinated beverage. But there is something moderately liberating about feeling like I am actually doing something. I could spend the entirety of the day at home, unemployed, wallowing in my distress. Instead I am professionally dressed, interacting with society, with the full blown appearance of someone who is doing something…not someone who is wallowing in her unemployment. Plus I like coffee.

While here, I drink those “skinny” drinks that Starbucks has so dutifully endorsed. You know what I’m talking about - those beverages that are marketed specifically for the insecure individual, who is struggling with his/her weight and esteem. Truthfully these drinks probably don’t make a lick of difference, and are probably far worse than indulging in a full-calorie Coke. But the mind is fickle. We believe what makes us feel good. Today I have accompanied my Skinny Vanilla Latte with a Soy Banana Muffin (notice the capitalization?). Soy and banana must make it healthy! The pound of sugar on top…maybe not.

Maybe my life is fuller with Starbucks. For instance, the advice on the back of my coffee cup is deeply profound…utterly life changing: "The most important thing in life is to stop saying “I wish” and start saying “I will.” Consider nothing impossible and then treat possibilities as probabilities.”
Apparently these words were conjured up by David Copperfield. Why does a magician have a profound quote? Why not the Average Joe? Regardless, this was worth the trip to have my life changed by my coffee cup. And trust me, I presently have the time to ponder and implement that advice. Unfortunately “I will” takes money. Ahhh well…maybe the next coffee cup will be more feasible.

Alright, I’m running out of things to say about my unemployment, but really have nothing better to do that blog about something. Actually I am procrastinating a much larger independent project. I am not great with independent projects…because I procrastinate. While in university I procrastinated about any school-related work. During those periods, I could find tons of interesting things to do – I vacuumed, cleaned the toilet, emptied dresser drawers (cleaning was a vice), and blogged. There is a reason that my travel blog is titled “The Procrastinator’s Travel Haven”. When university ended, I started procrastinating about my procrastination blog. My inspiration for getting things done is about as useful as my body’s ability to metabolize food – my metabolism is lethargic and nearly nonexistent – so is my attention span for independent projects. But alas, it is time for me to shift gears, and start working on something a bit more productive. Until tomorrow…when I need to procrastinate again. Maybe my Travel Haven will eventually make it back in to my rounds of procrastination vices.

No comments: