Thursday 17 April 2008

How A Canadian ends up in Banbury


So to get everyone on the same page - I need to answer the question...how exactly does a Canadian end up in Banbury? I wouldn't say I moved here on a whim - well not exactly. Four months ago, out of the blue, I had a recruiter contact me about moving to England. At that point was perfectly content to live out my days as an unemployed bum. Ok..not quite - but you get the point. I wasn't unemployed entirely - I was on a leave of absense from my hour a day job due to distress - how one gets distressed in an hour a day job is beyond me - but I did. All I knew was that I desperately needed to get out of my hometown - picture economic instability mixed with alcoholism, and a dash of depression. Plus there was snow...and cold. Why not trade all that in for rain?
So anyway..the recruiter gets in touch with me - and hey! I've really got nothing better going on. So why not move to the UK? I'd thought about it before. Sure, I'll move. But it has to happen QUICKLY - I can't sit around and ponder this until September, because I will talk myself out of it (welcome to the inner workings of my mind). Soooo....long story short: 3 recruiters and 2 months later, I accept the first job offer that comes along...in Banbury. 6 weeks after that, I'm on an Air Canada flight into Heathrow Airport.
In the weeks leading up to my departure, I truly had no feelings over my move. Of course I was regularly asked
"Are you excited?"
"No."
"Are you nervous?"
"No."
"How long are you going for?"
"I don't know"
"What are you teaching?"
"Science"
"To what grade?"
"I don't know."
"What's Banbury like?"
"I don't know."
My answers were largely noncommital, and "I don't know" became my motto. My feelings towards the move were largely detached. I'm not sure if that was a good sign, or a bad one - but needless to say, on April 9th I packed up and moved continents.

So...an hour outside of London, emotionally detached me is nearing the end of her journey - and suddenly the reality hits me (4 months late, I realize)..."holy *explitive* what the *explitive* am I doing?". Panic. More panic. Deep breaths. Turbulance (unrelated to this, but still unnerving). These were the longest seconds of my life - luckily I am emotionally detached, and after 5 seconds I overcame reality and went back to my ignorant contentment.

So...to sum up...that is how a Canadian ends up in Banbury. Emotional detachment, indecisiveness, and the overwhelming need for change. Welcome to my reality :)

No comments: